Thursday, July 30, 2020

Water Care Recount

Hook
“ WHOA ” I can’t believe that in class we talked about wastewater and stormwater. I always wanted to know about how to care for water! It was so satisfying. 


In class there was a lady called Sarah that came to our classroom. She was from Watercare and I was so thrilled to learn about how water is treated. First she introduced herself. She was a worker whose job was to educate children about water care. She cast her own presentation to us. 



Then Miss Paton asked us all, “Why is water important? “ Then all of my friends put their hands up and they had some really good answers. I answered too. Some of my friends said that “Water is important because if we didn’t have water we wouldn’t survive”.


After all the answers we moved on. After a while Sarah talked about the olden days. In the olden days, when people went to the bathroom, they had a chamber pot underneath their bed and they put a cloth above the chamberpot. Then I laughed SO hard that my tummy became sore. Sarah said that there were chambermaids that cleaned the pots. The way that the maid’s cleaned the pots was throwing the pees and poops in the nearby river.


After that we went outside to do an experiment. I was so excited. Sarah said “In this experiment you have to make a hill, mountain or a volcano from these lightweight powdery rocks”. 
After this we covered our mountains with a see through cover. We poured water over the cover and you had to guess how many streams you could see.


Conclusion
It was so much fun! I learnt lots of new information. I would hate to be a chambermaid back in the olden days, throwing pees and poops in rivers. I am glad that I am living in the present. I am glad that I am in a country that has safe drinking water. I hope that the water treatment plant continues to operate and that people can save twenty litres of water a day.

3 comments:

  1. Tino pai Jia. I'm so impressed with how many facts you remembered but also how you've shared your opinions in your blog post. I used to work for the Tread Lightly Caravan and we used to teach people about looking after our drains so that 'only rain goes down the drain.' Maybe you could create a video, song or animation (or anything you like!) to teach others what you learnt about water? Keep up the great blogigng!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jia I like the way you have written this posts with a conclusion that rounds at all up. One interesting thing I found about water recently is the amount that is used in each toilet flush. I would like to see New Zealand start to adopt more use of composting toilets where the amount of water used is less. Do you have any ideas for how to save 20 litres a day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete